Undergrad By Day

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Void Deck Rituals

The task ahead beckons but with a different call everyday. You usually find me at school because honestly, school's my retreat. No one's hardly ever there and the only people that I bump into are friends. My quiet space is in that little niche in the CCA Area of SMU's City Campus. Everyone needs their little quiet space. My problem is my quiet space is in the very heart of the last place I should go to distress.

--

My favourite time of the night. 3 am. And yes, I'm at the void deck again. The white of my laptop screen a little dim to conserve what battery usage I can. The night bringing about it a crisp notion of silence and cold. My handphone happily buzzing with messages from a very nocturnal friend. I sit on a green plastic bench, something that distinctly reminds me of lego. A crack breaks the silence. The uncle on the stone bench just ahead cracked open his can of soya bean and sat savouring it with a ciggarette. He didn't stay very long. Finished with his drink, he got up his rickety black bicycle and pushed off onto the night road. The occasional vehicle breaking the silent monotony. What refreshing air, what a majestic sky, what an inspiring moment.

It'll be quite perfect if I wasn't mosquito-food at the same time.

Quite amazing the many varied rituals that are conducted in the sanctity of the HDB Void Deck. The loud, garish Malay Weddings, the omnious Chinese funerals, the get-together Pot Luck dinners.. the secret rendevouz of young couples, the quiet solitude of lonely elderly, the quick refuge of a rebellious youth, the hot-blooded confrontations of gang members.. and now one more to add to the long long list, the starving undergrad searching for his wireless internet connection.

--

Twenty two years old in two months. Is this old? Some of you older folks might snigger a little at my youthful musings. Some of you younger people might wonder at my ramblings. Honestly, I fear sometimes... at the speed of which we hurtle towards a finality to our perceived sense of immortality. It is perhaps this anxiety for death which breeds a zest of life that inspired men to push for greater things. Things often beyond their immediate reach.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:06 AM, Blogger Boltzmann said…

    rilek bawah bawah blok kapa beb??? tak bawak guitar rtong sekali??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home