Undergrad By Day

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Some time up in the clouds

The extended family hired a van and we made our way to Kuala Lumpur and Genting over the Christmas weekend. It was a wonderful time spent with my family, especially my two sisters. Ever since I've started at SMU, I've always felt like I was neglecting them. I hardly see them during term and it is so easy to just lead seperate lives during this period of growing up.. but I won't allow it or at least I try not to. So it was really good to spend a couple of days with them and the family.

The trip up was quite uneventful except I remember having really good prata at dawn in some nondescript area of Johor. Oh, if there's anything to describe this trip by it would be GOOD AND EXPENSIVE FOOD. My generous uncles and aunties took turns picking up the tabs to our meals and we went to really quite classy places to eat. Sirloin steak, fish and chips.. I probably cost a hundred over bucks to feed just over that weekend. =p~

Khai mentioned KLCC as the place to go to at the end of the year for bargains. I went off shopping there by myself and found in one shop, a 980 ringgit pair of jeans. I was quite dismayed. I decided to scour the whole area and I knew I had only slightly more than an hour. I ended the session quite happily trading in $150 for 1 pair of U2 pants, 2 pairs of jeans and 2 really nice tees. I badly wanted to take the 150 bucks and spend it on this pair of jeans and tee from topman but I figured it was a little out of the budget. Ah well..

So, after an intensive shopping session at KLCC, I decided to just take a walk around. I didn't really know the area and I was walking around alone in KL and it was approaching eleven. Common sense would have dictated taking a cab back to the hotel but curiosity (besides killing the cat) led me to explore the area. I wanted to find my way to Bukit Bintang, which I knew would still be quite lively at this time of the night. I would have gotten lost if I had not found Zouk KL. I contemplated going in but I had quite a number of shopping bags and I wasn't in the mood at that moment to mix around with strangers. I hit the dirt road behind Zouk KL.. which I knew would lead to Rum Jungle and Jalan Sultan Ismail. It was dark and I was alone and the probability of getting mugged was high but nothing happened. I walked down the row of clubs there and then walked all the way to Bukit Bintang (the distance of which was a LOT further than I remembered).

The area was still lively. There was this percussion group performing at the junction in front of Lot 10. I walked around the area, thinking back to the time when I came here with friends for holiday as well as to watch Incubus. The old Master Po reflexologist place has closed down. The McDonalds has renovated. There's more sheesha along the streets and more gelato too. I was seriously contemplating getting a massage but it was getting too late and I had to get back to the hotel.

Genting was good. The weather up there is seriously amazing. It really is quite surreal when you step out of the hotel and you see clouds puffing past on the roads. We took the cable car up there and the whole area was covered with clouds. In one of the rooms I was in, a white flouroscent screen on the wall was actually an open window with nothing but white clouds outside! It was good =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home