Undergrad By Day

Monday, December 12, 2005

Yesterday was a holiday.

I was in school early yesterday for a meeting but after lunch I decided to spend some time alone in school. I walked down the concourse, taking in the emptiness of the place. It has begun to rub off on to me. It's plain and gray and white but it didn't ask to be that way and I shouldn't judge the school for it, especially not compare it to the beautiful previous one at Bukit Timah. I walked through the empty concourse which was empty except for a girl at the end of it, posing on her heels chatting away on her phone. It was her, haha... decked up for a Blurt photoshoot. I remembered feeling at that moment how long ago September seemed to be.

I spent a few hours in the student lounge, supposedly resting but I was spending some time on the World of Warcraft. I then made my way by MRT to Tampines. I hardly ever make trips to the East by train.. and everytime I do, I can't escape the feeling that I was travelling back to my past. The train will pass by two of the houses I grew up in, especially the one in Tampines. The place is made of childhood adventures, ghosts and void deck games. The carpark and grass around it is my own personal sacred grove.

I made my way to the stage which was sitting before Century Square and Tampines Mall. The Leaven Trait, Set For Glory, West Grand Boulevard and Surreal were going to play. I remember feeling confused for a bit at how two seperate worlds in my head were colliding, my childhood memories of Tampines Interchange and the local bands that I have come to know and the music that I have come to enjoy since I was a teenager. My friends were there and many more came. The Leaven Trait has a legion of fans =) Everybody rocked the stage that night.. It was pure fun.

We decided to hit the bumper cars. Leaven Trait (& Friends) Vs West Grand (& Friends). Nobody won cuz everyone was hitting everyone (except Ben whose car was going so slow it could have bumped a cockroach and the cockroach wouldn't have noticed =p) Joel and I were cramped into one car.. Two twenty-something men cramped into a child-sized car happily driving around and hitting people. Charlene was extreme-bumpercar-ing. It was a good thing we had the Burger Ramly-ies after the bumping.

Shisha at Al-Majlis was pretty good, I admit I had my doubts. Company was even better with the jokes, the games, the impromptu Santa "alHabla-habla" Serial-Killer video, toast and eggs at dawn and the struggling to keep awake when daylight hit.. this is the stuff holidays are made of. fun, friends and a touch of nostalgic visiting. and you dont even need a passport... the only that was missing was a scenic photograph with the words "wish you were here" written on it. haha.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger Noir said…

    I sense a tinge of Incubus at the end of the post. call me along for the next gig featuring these bands bro! =)

     
  • At 2:20 AM, Blogger Ben said…

    you know damn riiiight!

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, just chanced upon this blog. And wish you were here, honey, is pink floyd. Don't know about Incubus, but Pink Floyd's da man. =Þ Maybe I misunderstood the other comment. Peace.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home