Undergrad By Day

Friday, April 08, 2005

Mid Mugging Madness

I have a class at 8am and I'm still online. Loaded with bread oozing with Nutella and Butter. I've been eating that since I could remember. When I was in my peak sailing training days, I could easily eat 1/2 a loaf of bread in one sitting. Now, 4 slices suffices. I wonder if my decreasing appetite is reflective of a lower metabolism rate. That would be good news. I'd gain more weight and probably can get into a boat and start sailing again.

Andrew, the OSL guy in charge of Sailing in school, asked me if I wanted to join him and represent Singapore for some keelboat regatta up northern malaysia waters. I figured I couldn't commit. Not this year though I dearly want to. Lots of things to reach for and achieve while still having the cover (or excuse) of being an undergraduate.

Nothing interesting or funny happens when you're mugging all day and night except maybe you feel a great urge to be munching on something all the time. Also, the more my brain starts working absorbing everything from business torts to object oriented diagrams, the more my brain starts thinking up wicked drum beats and sequences. I was going through syllogistic logic (analytical skills) when my hands and feet tapped out a 5/4 sequence ascending to a 6/8 then to 7/8 and god knows what.

freaky shit. but good.

of course, when i actually get myself on a drumset and start THINKING drums.. all this magic fades out.

You know the best part about playing drums? It's not the coolness or whatever you think it is. It's the fact that the drummer becomes every song he plays. No actually, he doesn't play the song.. he reacts to the song. He lifts it up and brings it down when he feels like it. A guitarist even a bassist know they are parts of the song.. they're playing music, a part of the song. The drummer carries the song, is carried by it and just kinda reacts. He's part of the groove, he holds the rythmn, he makes standard or awkward beats with his snare and he punctuates with his crashes.

I'm biased but I think drumming is the best thing to do in a band. =)

Okay, back to mugging reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home