Undergrad By Day

Sunday, September 25, 2005

It's all about the..

This happened a week ago but I just felt like blogging about it now.

Some of you guys might know that I received a scholarship from SMU. It's supposed to be a $3000 offset off my tuition fees. Problem is, my tuition fees are already subsidised 100% by Mendaki due to my household income. So what happens? Money from scholarship can't come to me because it's for my tuition fees and mendaki has already promised to pay for it all... so after some discussions between the two.. Mendaki said that it's either I go for the tuition fee subsidy OR the scholarship.

$6500 every year for 3 years OR $3000? no brainer right.

So now, SMU has asked Mendaki to allow me to keep my scholarship in name, and the $3000 goes to Mendaki for this year. Effectively, Mendaki pays $3000 dollars less for me, or gains $3000 in a way.

Sigh.

I'm just complaining because this is no way an incentive for students under the Mendaki subisdy to work hard and get a scholarship. I doubt there are many scholarships out there that pay strictly allowances rather than tuition fee subsidies. I'm only sadder because I made plans for that $3000.. definitely one of the first things I would do with it would be to pay all of the money I owe my friends and get a driving license? Ah well.. I'm going to try to appeal to Mendaki and see if I can smell a bit of that money. Family really needs it now man. Damn.

Sorry if I haven't been meeting up with some of you guys or promised to chip in for a present but pulled out at the last minute... Gotta find some way of making some dough real soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home