Undergrad By Day

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Good Luck, Bad Luck, Who Knows.. Heh.

I met someone on the bus today. She had the most beautiful, innocent eyes I've seen in a while. She's Chinese, I think with a little bit of an Eurasian mix, I can't be sure. We made eye contact and at first, we kinda frowned at each other but after a while, we smiled at each other. She had on a cute red/white striped dress with nice pink Polo shoes. Pretty soon, we were making faces at each other and smiling.

I couldn't really get her name because first of all, I don't think she really knew it yet and second of all, she fell asleep in her grandmother's arms before I could really get around to ask. She's two years old, I think or maybe a little younger and she lit up my day.

A lot has happened the last few days. After an agonizing five days, I decided to withdraw from running for the Students' Association again. I knew I could have been President but my heart was led to give it away. I then followed my passion and applied to be in the Arts Fraternity but my application was late by 36 minutes and got rejected despite two appeals and despite having Margaret Chan pushing some points in my favour.

I'd dare admit I was so devastated I was driven to tears.

I'm not the sort to cry easily but there were other things that led me to cry that day. My dearest dearest friends. I had friends who stood up for me and wrote such a beautiful letter to the ACF Elections Committee to try and turn the decision. I had friends who immediately started a petition going when they heard my application got rejected. I had friends who all came forth and offered a shoulder and an ear. I had friends who backed me all the way. Touched isn't a strong enough word, I was overwhelmed.

Margaret gave me an Oscar Wilde quote, "Those of us who live many lives, will also have many deaths." I do feel that I have grown from this whole episode and hopefully, I have become someone stronger. I am blessed with the invaluable gift of love and friendship and the events of the last few days have made me realize how truly blessed I really am. Amidst all this, how does one even begin to feel dejected? How do I even begin to return the love and affection that I have been showered with? I can only begin to try and continue to serve in whatever capacity I can.

Also, my friends in the Elections Committee, Chi ching, Paolo, Zhiyang and Sharifah. Please forgive me for any resentment I may have directed towards you. I swear to you now that I bear no grudge to any one of you. Anyone. I understand the agony and the ordeal that you must have gone through to make that decision and I do trust that the decision-making process has been a fair one.

I look ahead and I know that if I ever feel dejected and alone in the future, I'll just be being silly. What an amazing thing to get to realize.. very few material things will compare in value to the knowledge that I have so many people rooting for me.

Heh. And through the whole episode, my dad had one phrase to tell me.. "Good luck, bad luck, who knows..."

Thank you everyone, I don't even know how to begin but... thank you.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Francesca said…

    things happen for a reason and just like everything else, you will look back one day knowing why it all happened the way it did. =)
    cheer up buddy.

     
  • At 12:34 AM, Blogger undergradbyday said…

    thanks babe. =)

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger [F][L][E][X][O][R] said…

    Do not be too upset by the loss, I've gone thru many ups and downs, some i think you know already...

    What may be a loss, could be a blessing in disguise?

    Now that you have more free time (sort of) to yourself, you can ask yourself what you might want to do in the meantime?

    If you really want to contribute back to the school, bear in mind that being part of ACF or SA doesn't mean everything. We all can contribute in our own little ways...

    Cheer up bro, we are all behind you.

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Darnie Pig said…

    Every direction u chose or made to choose at a crossroad will eventually reap its benefit. Because no one route comes with only benefits and no sacrifices. If you choose to embrace and move on with hope, things will eventually turn better in your favor. Brave it. We are behind you.

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    when things don't seem to be alright, you know that it's not the end.. Because things will be alright in the end.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home