Undergrad By Day

Friday, April 21, 2006

This is not political blogging.

I made my way home in the late afternoon today. I sat near the back and on the back seat was a gentleman whose jigsaw puzzle was short of a few pieces.

The guy was crazy and mumbling out loud.

What made the whole thing blog-worthy wasn't the fact that he was crazily mumbling. It was what he was mumbling out. There were quite a bit of mumbling but I caught some rather interesting phrases. All in proper diction, mind you.

"I will work, no, you are of Indian descent not of Indian origin."

"..and he was the first Malay to be promoted to the office of..."

"I will stand in the witness box on behalf of the government!"

"My life, my research. 20 years of research."

The man looked and smelt homeless, with a brown leather sling-bag with a pocket file full of documents and letters. He carried around a stack of newsletters entitled "Changi Express" which he claims to be his research. On every newsletter (he showed me), he scribbled a particular email address, logo and some words in blue ink.

The poor guy is/was obviously educated. I can't imagine what has brought him to such a level. He looked like a starved David Marshall, but that can't be right? Isn't our former Chief Minister dead? Can't imagine what might have broken the man so.

--

Among my friends, I am known as the guy who's interested in politics. Since I was in secondary school, I have always watched the annual national day rally speeches. I needed to know the policies that the government sought to implement. I always care to know.

They call me an upcoming MP or someone big in politics when I grow up. I've always laughed my head off.

As I grew up, I came to know about some of the things that the government implements to keep in power. The lack of a sense of fairness on the political playing field is justified by the Minister proclaiming that nobody else plays fair anyway. Can we argue against that? Yes. Will arguing change anything? No.

It comes down to

a. I run this country well.
b. In order to continue to run this country well, I need to stay in power.
c. I set the agenda and I do these things to stay in power, they may not be fair.
d. Nobody else helps their opposition to a level playing field.

Therefore, I am justified to do these things to stay in power because nobody else helps their opposition and I run this country well.

If you disagree with this, you step into the arena and fight. You win, you set the agenda and the rules. You lose, well, that's another story.

If you are a capable but dissenting voice, we will pull you in. We will let those that do not make the mark go. The people want to see that the ruling party are not overlords so let's give them a choice. In the freak accident that the opposition win the GRC, they must prove that they can run the constituency. Good thing the community heads and ground people in the constituencies are staunchly with the ruling party. They can try getting support from them. Neither will they get support from the government because we rightly favor our own voters first.

Integrity. Service. Excellence. All bases and details are covered. From the contrasting videos of us and the opposition you see on the media to the internal securities act. The control of this country is full-proof.

You have to admire the efficiency at least. A rather chilling admiration.

Ah but ssshhhh.... what do I know? I am but a young, rebellious voice.. stupidly breaking the law by blogging about politics during the elections. Misrepresenting the facts and on top of it all, being rude about it. Is it naive to ask for a level playing field? Perhaps. Remember, you need to stay in power to run the country well. Is it justified? Is it justified?

I'll be honest. I think the answer is, yes.. it is justified. That is why, if my constituency wasn't a walkover, I would be voting for the PAP. It's simple. Something as airy-fairy as fairness does not outweigh a working government. The jagged little pill may leave a bitter aftertaste but grow up already.

And I've stopped laughing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home