Undergrad By Day

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Mind your head.

I had a little scare in my room a few days ago. I had just woken up from another 2/3 hour of sleep night and in the darkness of the morning, I peered into a mirror and I saw this horrid looking zombie-like creature at the side of it.

Fortunately or unfortunately, when I peered harder, I realized the monster was me.

I looked like a zombie and I positively felt like one too, except I didn't have the appetite for human brains. Okay, maybe a nibble on human ears would be okay. But thats not the point. I was a zombie, a member of the army of the living dead. With a company law exam in four hours.

I lurched to school. I didn't really bite anyone on the way cuz everyone I met on the way was a fellow zombie too and I remembered that zombies don't bite other zombies. It wasn't polite. I started to think of how I could differentiate the living from the living dead. I peered out of the bus window... it wasn't easy. At 800am in the morning, everyone had

a. lifeless, glassy eyes
b. broken posture/gait
c. a slight moan/groan when prodded

..yup, definitely zombies. It was really amazing to me that nobody seemed to be affected by this. Here we are, all fellow zombies lurching away and nobody made a hoot about it all or how it all started or when we all started turning into the living dead. Maybe they all had also woken up one morning and peered into the mirror like I did and realized, "oh hello.. i'm a zombie. right, gotta get to work.."

So I hit SMU expecting to see some form of life. Hah. If you have ever seen a zombie movie, you would have at least watched a scene where a whole crowd of zombies are shambling their way towards something and pawing at it. For another remake of such a scene, come down to the security gantries at the SMU Business School lobby at 830am.

I finished the company law exam with my zombie noggin thankfully still intact. I shambled to a little corner of the admin building and buried myself. and then I watched "Shaun of the Dead" on my computer. Quite a romantic comedy. This was immediately followed by another viewing of "Dawn of the Dead", I swear I think I can start to memorize the lines in that movie. I downloaded a demo version of Stubbs the Zombie, which is a pretty cool game where you get to play the zombie and infect people instead of the usual blast-the-zombie game. Pro-Zombie, I like.

So, I thought so okay, I had a short spell of zombie obsession and the only thing zombie about my life are the movies and games.

unfortunately, not.

I started to look into this whole zombie thing and how that seems to tie in a lot with what I see around me. There's a whole philosophy behind zombies. Going behind the idea of consciousness and physicality. Honestly, it is really difficult to look at all the people lurching around everyday and not think "zombies". Are they conscious and thinking? I read on how people have taken to this and infused it into the way they see their daily lives and made it a formula for success.. Even when I'm studying, I stumbled upon a ZOMBIE programming language and zombie networks.

You say that a zombie invasion will never happen? I say it's already over. Get ready to supersize a McBrain meal soon, you zombie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home